Vote for Thyme2Grow to receive a Community Award for Milburn Road Garden
09 August 2017
Help win £10,000 for Milburn Road Community Garden!
Exciting news! The Milburn Road Community Garden is to be entered into a public vote to win £10,000.
In April 2017 Thyme 2 Grow signed an agreement with Bedford Pilgrims Housing Association (bpha) to take over the management of Milburn Road Community Garden in Goldington, Bedford. The site was in a state of neglect, but secure.
Plans have now been drawn up to transform the garden so that it can offer a combination of structured Social and Therapeutic Horticulture (STH) sessions as well as community access.
In order to fund this Thyme 2 Grow has successfully been entered in a public vote, being run by the One Family Foundation, to win £10,000.
Voting will take place between 9 August and 6 September 2017 (noon–noon).
The transformation will include:
- The creation of sitting area / chill our zone
- A poly tunnel
- Cold frames
- A wheelchair accessible raised bed
- A sink and soak away
- New tools
- An initial stock of plants, compost and fertiliser
- Planters for outside the community centre
- Raised fruit beds
- Replacing the memorial tree bench
Once the garden is ready in spring 2018 it will be suitable for running two STH session per week. It is hoped that a third session will also run for older people at the local Community Centre, this will focus on bringing on young plants for transfer to the garden.
Being in the middle of the summer holidays, the timing of this is not great – although Thyme 2 Grow will not be the only organisation facing this issue.
Publicity will be essential. The plan is therefore to motivate as many individuals and organisations as possible to commit to following the vote and helping with publicity. Social media is very powerful, as is email and also word of mouth.
- To aid this Thyme 2 Grow is planning to have a small number of posters and flyers printed – please let me know if these will be of use.
- Thyme 2 Grow will promote the campaign via its website and social media when the vote goes live on 9th August and then, if all goes to plan, will schedule Facebook posts for 11:00 am every Monday and Thursday of the campaign. Please like and share as much as you can. An increased social media presence will also be possible towards the end of the campaign.
Thyme 2 Grow website and Social media:
learn more about STH here
Contact Emma Dagless, Director.
Tel: 077772 247 097.
With a big team effort, we can win £10,000 and get the transformation underway!